- Preheat oven to your lowest setting! Mine is 170 degrees...I do not think they go lower. The "Baking" setting OR the "Convection" setting both work.
- Prepare your flank steak by removing and cutting off all the FAT! Get off as much as you possibly can! Any thick sections of solid fat need to be removed! Only a tiny amount of marbled fat should remain throughout the entire piece of meat! You can freeze it now for a few minutes to make it easier to cut but is not necessary!
- Slice flank steak in 1/4 inch thin pieces AGAINST THE GRAIN (no bigger than 1/4 inch thickness) and absolutely MUST be cut against the grain! You can also cut at a slant to make each piece wider! Gather all your meat slices including the smaller pieces and place in a bowl!
- Mix marinade...1/4 cup tamari, 1/4 cup teriyaki, 1/4 cup beer, 1 teaspoon liquid smoke, 2 packed tablespoons brown sugar, 5 crushed cloves fresh garlic, and 1 teaspoon finely crushed black pepper. Stir together and pour over meat! Let sit for approximately 30 minutes (in refrigerator) - This is a thicker/stronger marinade, no need to soak meat long!
- Bake in your oven on the lowest setting (around 170 degrees) for approximately 3 1/2 to 4 hours! Lay the jerky out on a standard size baking tray lined with metal racks to keep the jerky off the floor of the pan. This will allow air to circulate all around the meat! You will have to decide how soft/dried/hard/crispy you want your jerky to be...we like ours on the softer side! Also the amount of time will vary...you will have to make sure each piece is dry and baked through. If your beef is cut thicker these times could go longer! Same thing if you cut the meat too thin. Just pay attention and keep checking it. You will be able to see when it is done.
- Let jerky cool completely and store in an airtight container in your refrigerator! Again, I am not concerned about STORING this for long periods of time that is not what this recipe is about! This recipe is for eating right away and should be treated like regular meat and stored in your refrigerator...IF YOU HAVE ANY LEFT AFTER THE FIRST DAY!
SWEET & SPICY BEEF JERKY
This is the jerky you can’t put down! Absolutely scrumptious-melt in your mouth sweet & spicy teriyaki beef jerky! My #1 requested gift to give during the holidays!!
You can skip the beer in this recipe (increase the tamari and teriyaki by 1/8 cup each) to make a thicker marinade! And you can adjust the amount of pepper, sugar, and garlic to make it spicier, milder, or less sweet!!
This recipe is intended to be eaten right away – store the remaining dried meat in the refrigerator so it lasts even longer!
This is the kind of jerky I make to set out for a big party in the middle of the table as an appetizer or hearty snack…even the women love this jerky! There is NEVER any left over to store!
A 2 pound flank steak should mop up the amount of marinade suggested in about 30 minutes and will fit perfectly laid out on a standard size baking pan lined with metal racks.
The directions below are for the OVEN. But you can certainly use this recipe in a dehydrator! Follow manufacturer suggestions.
- 1 Large 2 Pound Flank Steak
- 1/4 Cup Tamari Sauce(real tamari not soy sauce) There is a lighter salt version!
- 1/4 Cup Teriyaki Sauce (Veri Veri Teriyaki is a good one with sesame seeds)
- 1/4 Cup Dark Beer or Lager (any kind)
- 1 Teaspoon Liquid Smoke (hickory or mesquite)
- 2 Packed Tablespoons Dark Brown Sugar
- 5 Crushed Cloves Fresh Garlic
- 1 Teaspoon FRESH "Finely" Crushed Black Pepper (I crush my own peppercorns) FRESH GROUND IS BEST!!!!!